Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Once your feet touch the road...

Tomorrow, I depart for France and Italy for two weeks.  I am most fortunate enough to be traveling with my elderly father.  This will surely be a bonding moment between the two of us.  It will also be a herculean test of my patience.  My dad likes to control just about every moment of our time together.  But, for the opportunity to see France, and to walk through the old city of Rome, I will endure whatever control I have to suffer.

I am sad in my heart though that my wife is not going with me.  For a moment we had to money to bring her along.  But, the chains of our obligations at home prevent us from taking such a vacation together.  Soon enough, we will go.  But, I am terrified that "soon" will never get here and the joyous memories of an adventure with my spouse will never be mine to cherish.  Perhaps a trip such as this will awaken her need to see the world with me.

Part of the reason for this trip is the chance to visit with my long, lost cousin.  We started corresponding a few years ago, and last summer he took a trip to the States with his lovely wife to meet us.  This is our effort to reciprocate and to meet others that might be related to us from this "lost" side of the family.  Specifically, they come from a boy of my grandmother(so my uncle) that survived and moved to Morocco.  He joined the French Foreign Legion and was stationed all over before being discharged and given French citizenship.

As for my trip, I am excited to smell the air and visit with the trees and birds of France.  I have promised myself that no matter how cold it is, I will wade into the Mediterranean sea.  I also am excited for the food.  Best bread in the world I am told, and pastries that are to die for.  Though, where I am going I hear they eat a lot of seafood.  I'll eat fish, but I won't touch shellfish.  I hope it doesn't lead to an awkward moment with my relatives.  I'd hate to get labelled as an "Ugly American".

Hoping for the best.  Bon Voyage