Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Got an interesting letter from Tess this past weekend. It took me a couple of days to digest it and decide what I thought about her current situation. Basically, she is still at a crossroads with her relationship. Despite the ups and downs with her one thing seems to stick in her craw more than anything... The ongoing feud with her beau and her son.

It reminds me of my sisters second marriage when we lived in Oregon. She married a fairly successful man with his own house and business. It was a dream situation for her except for one thing. Her new husband despised her son and did everything to exclude him and even tried to have my sister give him up for adoption. It was a depressing situation because by my memory, he was extremely good to my nephew while he was dating my sister. In the end they divorced.

I told my girls once to watch out for single men they encounter. Not from the standpoint that they would be molested(though I have warned them enough about that) but from the idea that a man can be cruel to children who are not their own. In a way like a wild animal, they will subtly criticize or demean a child if they can get away with it. I guess a child not of their own blood is nothing but a nuisance. Not that everyone is like that mind you but, I've seen it enough to believe some feral nature like that exists in us.

This week is the opener of "The Passion". What a time for it, the first week of lent and all. I want to see it though I have some trepidation. Anyone who has read this blog long enough knows that movies tend to stir great emotions in me. I guess I'm afraid that it will make me passionate about my faith and I'll come across as a hypocrite in light of my recent grumblings. Still, the ads and promos for the movie draw me like bees to sugar. Almost like a calling deep within my heart. I suspect that urge will turn into an interesting journal entry when I see the movie in a few days.

In other news, despite the fact that my mother-in-law is not coming here anytime soon, we are staying in Mississippi for another month at least. My wife's new job will help out immensely and we will be able to catch up on our bills and save some money for the move if it comes to that. In the mean time I will apply for Ole Miss to see what happens there. If I am accepted then it is likely that we will stay for at least two more years. So it seems that March is the month that will tell our fate.