Another late night. I've been having a hard time falling asleep lately. Hence, I have a hard time getting up in the morning. Lazy days of being unemployed.
I saw a very interesting program on the Travel Channel tonight. It was about a recently discovered "lost" tribe in Papua New Guinea. Apparently, no member of the tribe ever saw a white person and had no concept of the outside world at all. The Narrator said the tribe admits to occasionally seeing an airplane fly over but they had no idea what it was. After an intermediary made contact with the tribe in their territory they met with the expedition next to a river deep in the rain forest. It was comical but very interesting at how the tribes warriors acted at seeing a white man and all his "gadgets" for the first time. They were especially alarmed by a pocket mirror. I don't know why show this intrigued me so much. Perhaps I just envy such a free life. I'm sure many would argue with me. But, the narrator made a good point. He said these tribesmen living in the jungle were truly "masters of their own destiny" and that if they left such a life and adopted modern ways they would be the lowest of the poor on earth. Even sleeping in mud and eating only the food you find that day, and dealing with disease and the like, they are richer then they ever could be anywhere else.
In other news I had a real indepth conversation with my oldest daughter this evening. Apparently, she's been talking with the school counselor and telling some lies. The counselor eventually called my wife and revealed the whole mess. The poor girl is going through puberty and has all her hormones messing with her head. Of course, she is upset about decisions we have made in the past, namely moving here. I don't blame her at all. I feel the same way. I wish I could rectify the situation and take us back to Mt Shasta. Anyway, I was able to give her a bit of a pep talk and I think I made her realize that her life isn't as bad as she thinks. I think I'm convinced that the worst part of having kids is having to re-visit the teenage years.