Monday, July 22, 2002

Tonight I went by myself to the movies to see "K19 The Widowmaker". Great great great movie. If you like thrillers and great acting this is the one. I read the reviews beforehand and they did not do justice to this movie. Harrison Ford and Liam Neeson did some of their best work. One line in particular in this movie was in reference to a request by the Captain of the Sub to recognize 7 people who gave their lives to save the ship. The request was denied and Harrison Ford's line in response was "What good is recognition from a group such as this". I empathized so well with that line because of my recent dealings with the damned loan committee. I guess I feel like their criticism of my plan is unwarranted. I know better than them, despite what they may think, about how well this business would work here. To be given their approval would be no better than having a group of monkeys give their thumbs up.

In fact, I'm pretty much down on committees in general. It seems just about every government in this world uses them and they can't seem to get anything done. In reality, what makes us think that a group of people would be able to make a decision about a particular subject better than an individual. I think that a committee is better able to shrug off blame when a decision of theirs goes awry. But, they are no better at resisting potential corruption. Now, I'm not saying we should live under a dictatorship. Autocrates sould be accountable for their decisions. But, it just seems that tyranny is equally bad whether it comes from a corrupt council or a corrupt administrator.

I know I'm going to be on a high horse about this whole loan committee for quite some time. As I told my Armenian friend the other day... This whole mess has taken the wind out of my sails.