Sunday, June 30, 2002

Well, my house has turned into the den of disease. Every one of my kids is sick with a sort of flu like thing that makes them throw up and leaves them feverish and grumpy. So far, the wife and I aren't sick(knock on wood). I hope everyone is feeling better by next weeks 4th of July celebration.

I tried my hand at running a Star Wars RPG game today. A few friends of mine form way back came over and we played. I felt bad because the stoy I came up with was lame. Everyone saw through it and it ended kinda stupid. I should have prepared more. Of note I played with Tess's brother ho is a difficult person to deal with in the game. I like to run dramatic adventures and he kept interrrupting me with comical side jokes. It made it hard for everyone to focus. My other problem was that everyone was afraid to do anything or take any chances. As a GM you can only guide the party so far before the game becomes a giant narrative. I'll try once more to run a good game. But, if it doesn't work out I'll give up for the time being.

I finally got to take the boy fishing yesterday. We stayed out at the lake way past dark but didn't catch a thing. I think my hook was to big and the catfish just nibbled the bait right off. I'm gonna try again real soon. Also of note, I discovered that my boy is afraid of the dark. I shouldn't surprise me. But, I was glad that I was there for him to hang on to. I think my own calmness set him at ease. I think if there is anything I want to teach my children it is for them to be calm in tense situations, even when they are afraid.