Thursday, June 17, 2004

Summer is definitely here. It's actually been cold for the past couple weeks but this week it really warmed up. So much so that I'm starting to experience the lazy summer afternoon syndrome. Needless to say not much has been getting done around here.

I received a cassette tape in the mail this week that I had been looking for for quite some time. It is called "Lamentation" and the music was written and composed by an Orthodox monk I once knew at the local monastery. The music sounds a bit like folk songs with singing and guitar accompaniment. As an Orthodox Christian the music stirs my heart and soul very deeply. Many lines he uses in the songs are taken directly from Scripture and well known liturgical prayers. It is Christian music, but not in the sense of Protestant or even modern Catholic style. Anyway, I am very pleased because my older daughters seem to be warming up to the music. I heard them singing one of the songs yesterday. That does my heart good because I so hate it when they sing pop music.

In other news, I've been working on my armor for the past couple of days. I'm seriously thinking about going to an SCA war over the on coast in a few weeks. I'm sure I would have a good time, and I am eager to get back into my armor and take the field. But, I have a couple reservations about the trip. First, my wife and kids would not be able to go. I am riding with my old pal Bubba, who is fighting at my side in the war. I really hate being at events without my family. Second, I heard through the grapevine that Bear is gonna be there. Apparently, in his paganistic fervor he has decided that the SCA is the place for him to be. I also heard he plans on donning armor and fighting. I'm sure I could just ignore him and enjoy myself. But, I just don't want to see him or have any contact with him. Frankly, I have forgiven him for what he has done to me in the past. But, I'd rather forget about him and get on with my life. I know this is a wrong attitude for me to have. I should be a light among those who live in darkness.

"God for love would die... So that we who hate may live."

Weep not for me -- Lamentation