Wednesday, February 04, 2004

Still no word from anybody. UP updated their site yesterday adding me as a candidate for a position as a Train Service employee in Roseville, CA. Then later in the day they listed me as rejected for the position. Well, at least they're doing something!

I did find an exciting job with Amtrak that I am well qualified for. I wrote one of the best cover letters ever for the position, detailing all my qualifications and how they match what they are looking for. The job is as an assistant conductor out of Charlotte, North Carolina. It officially closes today.

Told my Dad about the position and he was honestly excited about the possibility. He actually retired from Amtrak after being a conductor for several years. In truth, he left Southern Pacific as a brakeman because he was tired of working on-call. I suspect that is why he was down on me going into Train Service.

I think I would really like the job with Amtrak. I've travelled with my Dad enough to know what the job entails. It would expose me to both customer service(which I do enjoy) and working as a train crewman. Hopefully, in the next couple of days I'll find out if it's possible.

In other news, today we paid a visit to the Marshall County Museum. I figured I needed to delve a bit more into the history of this place. Right off the bat I was disappointed because the museum was set up in a store front on the town square instead of it's usual home in a historical building that once served as a womens college. Then, after we paid the admission price of $2.00 a head the curator told us that only a fraction of the exhibit was on display because they didn't have enough space. GRRRRRR!!!! Overall, it wasn't bad. I just wanted to see more about the Civil War history of the area. Perhaps I'll pay a visit again when the renovations are done and they move back into their building.