I had a marvelous time this past weekend. On Saturday I went to an SCA event in Northern California. It was only a feast and wasn't that enjoyable, though the dancing and singing was without rival. However, the following day we had a moniers workshop and I got to teach a group of potential apprentices how to do the craft of our guild. In addition, I got to hang out and have a great time with Emmerick and I got to meet a very fine group of people.
I know I've never really mentioned the Moniers guild in this journal. That is really because my involvement predates the start of this document. However, I can tell you that my heart has always been with the guild and I have missed it sorely.
As for reviving my long dead association with the SCA... I really don't know, there is still much about it that I despise, namely the Byzantine politics. I was heavily involved about 10 years ago and my goal was to be recognized and awarded by the royalty. However, that never happened despite all my best efforts. It became a game of not what you know, but who you know. Anyway, as for my current involvement, Emmerick wants to promote me to a "fellow of the guild" and have me take over administering the regional moniers work. However, his apprentice, Dubhgall, who is in charge of the kingdom-wide guild, has a different vision I think. Of course, this is only what I can garner from what they have each individually told me. For all I know they could be in sync with their plans. Anyway, I will do the work they ask, and I plan to exceed their expectations. But, I will not play the politics game with anyone. Nor will I seek recognition of any kind within the "society." I seek to advance the thing I love and that is the guild. This will become my mandate.
In other news, last night we went to the Christmas party at my wife's work. A good time was had by all and I came away with a healthy appreciation and respect for my wife's boss. In addition, I got to see my wife get drunk. Haven't seen that since High School.