Saturday, February 14, 2004

I spent all day today daydreaming how I could possibly get us back to Siskiyou County and make a living there. I thought of us just going and throwing our fortune to the wind. But, I know in this world that is how bad things happen. Gone are the days of human migrations.

I wonder a lot why we have to live in such a complex world. Computers, fast cars, mortgages, mutual funds, etc. What is it all for? To make us a little more comfortable? What does our system of things really do for us? It protects us from one another I guess. Makes it so the weak aren't unduly picked on by the strong. But, then again don't we have that anyway? With the tort system it seems anyone with money also has the power to destroy another at least financially. Perhaps that's fair... Maybe it's just a way for the smart people to get revenge on the strong people for all the times in history that force prevailed.

Still, a simpler life would be preferable to me. And in my belief it is a life we are supposed to live. Where instead of exercising 30 short minutes on the newest fitness machine you actually go out to chop wood, or fetch water, etc etc... Our bodies are designed to get up and move around. Not shuffle papers or sit in front of a computer all day. Of course, I say this after sitting in front of the computer all day. My hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Happy Valentines day everyone.