Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Well, I'm now 33 years old.

Had a decent birthday today. The wife took me out to eat and we spent the day together. Instead of a cake I got banana bread which was good. The girls bought me a ball cap with a funny logo. I got to talk to my Dad, who to my suprise remembered my birthday. Overall it was a good day...

Except for one thing. I tried to apply to a school in Georgia that does training for railroad conductors. Everything went smoothly until I got to the question that asks about color blindness. They offered a test to see if I was, and I flunked it. Now, I know I am color blind. But, I always thought it was minor. However, this school seems to have a strict policy against having it at all.

I don't know if I should take this as a fatal sign of my railroad aspirations. I really don't know if every company has the same strict rules. If so, I am sunk. It bugs me because my military career was bumbled because I am color deficient but, it didn't seem to matter for being a cop. This is something that has hounded me off and on all my life. Yet, there doesn't seem to be any recourse for someone with this obviously "crippling" disability. I think I read somewhere that 20% of the male population is color blind. You'd think that there'd be allowances or accomodations made for us.