I tried hard to be your friend. To fit in with your world. To understand your strange style. I stood by your side and defended you against all comers. I saw in you and your family a reflection of myself ten years ago. I wanted to be the uncle to your children that mine never had. I wanted to be available to you and look after your family, like no one ever did for me. I wanted to give you the things that we were denied, friendship, patronage, and love.
Instead, you have used me. You took advantage of us. You took us for granted without offering true appreciation or even recognizing the sacrifice and love we offered.
You have dogged my words and chosen to take great offense at even the smallest of insults. If I was to judge your regards towards me by your actions and words, I would be forced to think that you despise me. You say that you are a reasonable and understanding person when you have failed countless times to empathize with me or to even lend any weight to the things that grieve me. Instead, every time you take the side of those that afflict me, implying that I am mistaken about my feelings. Never once can I recall you offering me comfort or sympathy. It is clear that I do not belong in your world, nor will you ever accept me in it, or even try to make room for me. Your hospitality is cold and aloof, and can only be regarded as false.
You stand accused of these crimes against me. I do not offer you a defense or a chance at rebuttal, because you have never offered me such a thing. All I will offer is my pathetic attempt at forgiveness. But, the truth is only God forgives cleanly.
Therefore, I am letting go. Can you hear it? Of course, I will be polite and courteous. But, I will guard my words and my affection. Because you cannot be trusted.
Let no man say that I was one to linger where I was not wanted. Good luck in your cold and barren little world.