Monday, August 16, 2010

The labor of patience

This has been a pretty crappy summer... again! No money, no prospects for a job. Nothing really to do but wallow in the heat. We missed both the carnivale and the county fair this year due to being broke. We went camping once at our family reunion.

Now, as I end the summer of our discontent I am faced with a new challenge. My financial aid at Chico State is being held up because of nothing but pure, unrefined bureaucratic red tape. So much so that my semester is in jeopardy because of it.

Basically, I signed up for summer classes but couldn't take them because my tuition was short about $250. So I thought I dropped them but it ends up the computer didn't drop me, so mid-semester I had to call admissions and have them drop me manually. Then financial aid put a hold on my disbursement because I was over units from a bunch of crap classes I took back in Community College. So, I took our last bit of money and drove to Chico to deal with everyone face to face. Thinking I resolved it all I came home expecting some money this week. Ends up the school is claiming I owe them money from the summer semester that I dropped, $322 to be exact. So, now they want me to pay that before they will give me money.

They want me to pay them cash that I don't have in order to get cash that I desperatly need.

On top of that, the soonest I will get money is almost a week after school starts. So, I have to hitchhike to Chico and live under a bridge while I go to classes before I can have money for my books, supplies, an apartment, and transportation.

So, for all my hard work, getting good grades, turning in quality work, and contributing to the learning environment in a positive way I get kicked in the teeth and treated like a slacker. All because a bunch of bureaucrats want me to satisfy their petty wishes.

Sometimes I wonder if life is worth living and if the pain and suffering of the daily grind will ever get any of us anywhere.