Monday, January 19, 2009

The right track

On the last minute last Friday everything came together, much to my relief.

So, I showed up at the college and signed up for a math tutor to help me to pass the math placement test for intermediate algebra. I was told to speak to someone in the computer center to get started. However, when I arrived the lady responsible for the program left early for the day.

Refusing to give up so easily, I started asking around and I ended up finding the person that was filling in for lil-miss-leave-work-early. However, instead of getting set up with a living, breathing tutor, I got paired with a computer and a tutoring program.

So, an hour later I had exhausted the math tutoring program and was left with several questions that I needed answering. Namely, what the square root of negative one is(I might note that I never got an answer to this). So, being eager to make a good showing I set out for the math lab to fill in the gaps. However, upon arrival, there was not a single soul in the math lab.

Not letting despair get to me, and with time running out on when I can take the placement test, I made my way to the counseling center. Once again, I was faced with a roadblock. Despite the fact that he told me the day before that he would be there, the man who administers the placement test had left early for the day(grrr). So, one of the aides took me in to set me up on the computer that does the test. However, she apparently had the wrong password. So, for a long while she wasn't able to even get me into the software. After a bit of cussing on her part and a few phone calls, she was able to get me into the software and I was off and running.

After 45 mind numbing, nail biting minutes I finished the test. Out of the 20 or so questions asked I can honestly say I guessed on two of them. One, just made no sense at all and I think was put in there to throw me off. However, in the end I scored a 48 on the test. Thats not a percentage, I needed a 41 to qualify for the math class I needed. So, I joyfully took my test results to registration to sign up for the last math class that was open to enrollment.

Do I think this is any of my own doing? Of course, but with blessing and love from God in heaven. So, my thanks goes to him.