Tuesday, February 17, 2004

It snowed here on Sunday!!! I couldn't believe it!! It was about an inch but it was real snow. The kids got to play around and build some snow men. The best part is, it got really quiet around here. All the locals didn't dare drive anywhere so the roads were abandoned. No traffic noise. I love snow. Of course, on the down side we lost our cable and internet service. It took the idiots at Time Warner until today to figure out that the line was down.

No word on anything yet. I've basically given up. We have set a deadline for "something" to happen here before we give up and start the wagon train back to California. I only have 7 weeks left of unemployment and we would be a lot better off back at home. Besides, I can start my unemployment benefits over again in California and have a much better chance at finding a job. It just seems that all the decent paying jobs here have so much competition for them. The job market locally is lousy and all I can seem to find are service industry jobs that pay minimum wage. Which of course is only $4.25 an hour here. I don't know how people make a living!!

If we end up going back I have it planned out fairly well. I still have to look into a few things first. I'll be doing that over the next few days. I'm not giving up on living here but it's best to be prepared. Our deadline is the end of this month.

I think the worst part of this situation is that my wife is loath to leave here and I think she is desperate to find a way to stay. She's been exploring all manner of scenarios on how we can stay. She's got some good ideas but, I don't have much faith in our prospects. I like the idea of going back to school but frankly it would be easier for us to do that back in Siskiyou. Regardless, we have two weeks to see what happens. As I've said before many times... It's in God's hands now.