I've been neglectful throughout my life in the pursuit of poetry. I dont read it, I dont write it, I havent really appreciated it. However, of late I have been doing a bit of soul searching and meditation. I've been considering the things that give me solace and make me happy. Beyond the obvious things like my wife and kids, I've come to remember that I love the calm of the night. So, I decided to compose a poem to give my soul wings. Don't laugh, this is literally the first poem I've ever written;
"Calmly and surely you sail across the sable sky.
your cool light caressing the souls above you fly.
My heart is calm and I feel your distant love.
like the face of our eternal mother embracing us from above.
You shined upon my ancestors, never in judgement or with scorn.
generations of my people. You wept as their flesh was torn.
yet your tears fell as gentle beams of light
granting peace, solace, and love to us who pass by night.
Evil men with poisoned hearts, they don't look up to see your face
Instead they laugh and say your just a lifeless stone in space.
But we who are your children know in our hearts what's true
That you were here when we were born, and you'll be here when we are through.
Ancient galleon in the velvet sky, grant me healing as you pass by
Remind me always the gift that is my life.
Help me to forget the pain brought by evil
and the grief that is forged by strife.
Mother moon, hold me in your loving embrace
nurture me with your shining face.
as I dance and howl in your joyous light
I am reminded of your eternal love, in the wild woods at night."
"The Ecstasy of the Wolf"