I'm trying to help my adult children find a career. I have listened to them over the years. Their hopes and dreams, and their interests. Then recently I read an article by Mike Rowe that talks about the importance of Trade schools to the future of this country. My oldest wants to be an auto mechanic, my youngest daughter wants to be a chef, my third daughter wants to be a beautician.
Do what you love, and you'll never work a day in your life.
So, I got on a campaign to help them get into trade school. I took each one on a tour of the schools, driving a considerable distance to do so. We helped them get financial aid and worked out the details on how they could find a job and get a place. It so happens that all the schools are in the same city, relatively close to one another. So it is of great advantage for them to get a place together and share the cost.
That is where everything went wrong.
They all want to bring their romantic companions. Well, it just so happens that all of their mates don't have jobs, or ambitions, or brains in their heads. Instead I have seen them subtly sabotage, in one way or another, their plans to move. I guess misery loves company and they would rather have my daughters go no where and forget about their dreams.
Of course, then I confront my children about this drag they get very defensive and angry with me. So, I have steadily watched them succumb to this selfish manipulation and start to sabotage themselves. They don't want to tell Dad that they have changed their mind.
I have passive-aggressive behavior.
So, I get to watch a train wreck. It is as much my dream to see them chase their ambitions as it is for them to find their boldness.