So, I used to go about my life telling everyone that it is okay to smoke marijuana. I used to say that it is a fairly harmless drug that induces euphoria in its users with little or no side effects or long term consequences.
Today, all that has changed.
My oldest daughter smokes pot like a chimney. She uses it to moderate her mood swings so I figured it was better than having her take anti-depressants. Anyway, she promised me that she would not encourage her other sisters in any way to smoke pot. She broke her promise to me, and now I am in a position where I have to protect my children against their own older sibling.
Anyone who knows me knows that I am a sober person. I don't do drugs of any kind and I rarely if ever drink alcohol. Alcoholism and drug abuse runs in my family, and I swore that I would never subject my children to it. Perhaps in many ways that is a mistake, you see I experienced and suffered with family members who abused drugs and alcohol. I saw first hand the kind of monsters people can become when they embrace intoxication of any kind. My children have been blessed to never have to endure such a thing. But, at the same time they never have seen the negative side of this thing. Why I denied these experiences and consented with its use is beyond me. Perhaps it was so that I would not fall into a position where I am judging people for their weakness.
I am through with consenting. I will not take part in other peoples sins anymore.
To all you people out there who still say that pot is benign I say to you this; Have you ever considered the effects of pot on those people around you who do not imbibe? I don't mean second hand smoke, I mean the emotional toll of dealing with a parent, a sibling, or a friend that is high? What about the crutch you are building for yourself? If you smoke pot to relax or to help you deal with turmoil, how will you ever have the emotional strength to deal with such things without pot? Same goes for cigarettes and alcohol. How many times have you heard someone who just experienced a difficult situation say "I need a drink" or "I need a cigarette"?
Finally, to those who say it is an natural plant and it was meant to be used by us, I say this; what other animal on this planet rely on a plant on a daily basis to help them function beyond meer sustinance? None! Smoking marijuana is an unnatural act that our bodies were not designed or meant to endure. Just because it has a seemingly "positive" effect does not mean it is a good thing.
So, from this day forward I will consent no more. If you feel judged or condemned by this I say to you too bad. You're the one with the weakness, not me, and I won't take part in your sin anymore.