I am to be a grandfather. My oldest is having a child, and she is due sometime next summer.
I have waited for some time to post this news for several reasons. First, I wanted to work out my own feelings before publishing them. Second, my daughter is embarassed and didn't want anyone to know.
As for my feelings... I am overjoyed. The thought of another baby in the family brings me to tears. I look forward to seeing my daughter look upon her own child in wonderment. It doesn't seem real until you see that innocent face looking back at you. I am hoping that this will make her settle down once and for all and start living a good life.
However, there is a leering spectre following this joyous news. My daughters boyfriend, and all her "friends" are trying to talk her into getting an abortion.
That very word sickens me down to my soul.
Let me make myself very clear... Abortion is murder. Not only is it murder, it is the worst kind of murder. It is the slaughter of the innocent. A helpless life that will never get the chance to laugh, sing or be free because the selfish and heartless world says they are unwanted. I have a large swelling of rage for those who would murder the helpless.
I continue to pray and hope that my daugther has some sense of the morals I raised her with not have this done. She is embarassed that she is 17 and pregnant. Her boyfriend is hooked on drugs. She is living with his mother, whom I understand is trying to get her to abort as well.
What my daughter doesn't know is that we struggled with a similar "crisis" at one time. I was just back from the army and my wife and I were living with friends. I had no job and the future for us looked rather bleak. We found out she was pregnant. I was overjoyed yet, there was talk from some family members about the possibility of getting an abortion. I despise those people to this day. Obviously, we did not have it done, and my oldest daughter is proof. Her coming into this world changed our lives and gave us focus. She brought us pain, love, turmoil, and happiness like we have never known.
These times are sent to try our souls. Only compassion, mercy and love can save us from ourselves.