Sunday, September 15, 2002

I stumbled upon another great quote that seems to sum up my life and feelings about things. It comes from my all time favrite movie "Fight Club" which I just happen to be watching tonight while my wife is at work:

"An entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables... slaves with white collars. Working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our Great War is a spiritual war. Our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars. But we won't. We're slowly learning that fact. And we're very very pissed off."

When I think about this statement I harken back to my life in the Protestant Church as a kid. I remember hearing the preacher talking about the end times where there would be great turmoil and suffering. I recall shuttering with fear. But, I took comfort in the fact that I could endure physical suffering for the glory of God. Now, I believe the we are in those times... and the turmoil is here... However, it is in the form of spiritual turmoil, the likes of which the early Church fathers never had to endure. The days of Martyrs are gone. Now we must suffer attacks on our very souls.

With all that I've seen I truly fear that I won't endure. And I'm left to wonder if I will sell off my soul for worldly prosperity like everyone else around me.